I LOOOOVVVEEEEEE Yiros! I thought it was time I made some of my own as I never really get to them much as we don't buy take away that often.
Very easy and delicious. Grace (4 yrs old) LOVED it. I was surprised, she doesn't normally like lamb, or lettuce but she gobbled it up and asked to have it the night after too :) The lettuce was grown in our own veggie patch, as well as some of the herbs that I put in the marinade.
What you will need: (for 4 people)
1 tomato sliced
2 cups lettuce sliced
1/2 red onion sliced
500 gms lamb (I used leg steaks which are nice and tender and have alot of meat. You could use back strap, or use left over roast lamb, or just use plain old lamb chops and just cut the meat off) I cut my lamb into strips, you could do strips or chunks.
3-4 garlic cloves crushed or finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon sumac (dry you can get it in the herb section)
1 teaspoon thyme (fresh or dry)
1 teaspoon oregano (fresh or dry)
1 teaspoon rosemary
1 teaspoon all spice
juice and rind of 1 lemon
3 tablespoons olive oil
Greek Stlye yogurt (I used a 200 ml tub but that was way too much, unless you want to use it as a dip the next day too) so perhaps only 100ml for just the yiros
1/2 continental cucumber (around a cup) peeled, and de-seed, then grated.
juice of 1 lemon
2 garlic cloves (crushed or finely chopped)
parsely (1 tablespoon)
optional is mint or oregano
1. Cut lamb and herbs for the marinade and place all of those ingredients into a air tight container and place in the fridge (preferbly for atleast 4 or 5 hours so you can really get the taste).
2. Place the yogurt, lemon juice, herbs, cucumber into a bowl and stir around, cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for the same amount of time as the lamb. (taste to see if you want to add more of anything, your tastes will be different to ours).
3.Heat pan or grill and cook lamb until its cooked to your liking (some like it rare, medium etc).
4. Slice the salad ingredients.
5. Place yiros bread in warm oven wrapped in foil for a few minutes or in the microwave (without foil!!).
6. Once lamb is cooked you can assemble your yiros. No real art to it, whatever takes your fancy. We put some lettuce, tomato and onion down, lamb on top and the yogurt and then wrapped and enjoyed :)
Serve with fries or garlic bread