Sunday, July 4, 2010
Spaghetti and Meatballs
Although it takes some time to make this, it paid off well with the hubby and kids loving it. I still prefer good ol' bolognaise though :)
500gms (about 1lb)beef mince (ground beef)
2/3 cup (2oz) breadcrumbs (you could use fresh or from a box)
1/4 cup (3/4 oz) grated parmesan
1 onion finely chopped
1 garlic cloved chopped finely (or crushed)
Good handful fresh parsley finely chopped
rind and jucie of half a lemon
3 tablespoons plain flour
700gm (14oz) italian tomato passata
I beef stock cube
1 tin chopped tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 garlic cloves finely chopped
handful fresh basil (can use dried if that's all you have)
handful fresh oregano (dry if that's what you have)
dash of salt and pepper
1 teaspoon sugar
1. Mix together the mince, breadcrumbs, parmesan, onion, garlic, parsley, egg, lemon rind and juice, and some salt and pepper.
2. Roll the mixture into smallish balls and then roll in the flour.
3. Heat some olive oil in a pan (I used a big electric fry pan so I could make the sauce in that too) and fry the meatballs (in batches if you need to). Remove from the pan (turning with a fork is the easiest way) when golden brown and place on some paper towel to drain. Pour away the fat and meat juices to make the sauce.
4. Combine the passata, tomatoes, stock (in about half cup of warm water), basil, oregano, salt and pepper, sugar and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, and replace the meatballs to the sauce and simmer for 15-20 mins.
5. While the meatballs are cooking add some spaghetti to rapidly boiling water. serve with some grated parmesan.