Wednesday, January 12, 2011
chicken pot pie
This is taken from Jamie Oliver's new cookbook "Thirty Minute Meals". I changed one or two minor things to work for my family.
Below is the recipe that I used. In brackets is what he has done.
600gms chicken breast ( OR 4x 180gm chicken breasts) sliced into 1cm strips
knob of butter
bunch of spring onions
150gm button mushrooms (about 5-6 of them)
1 heaped teaspoon plain flour
2 heaped teaspoons English Mustard (he used hot, I used mild)
1 heaped teaspoon cream for cooking (creme fraiche)
300ml chicken stock (or use one chicken stop cube in a cup of water-this is what I did)
Few sprigs of fresh thyme
sprinkle of nutmeg-dried (he used fresh nutmeg)
1 sheet pre rolled puff pastry (depends on the size of your pan. I used two sheets for mine)
(pre heat oven to 200C/400 F)
1. Cut the chicken into 1 cm strips
2. Add some butter and olive oil to a hot, large pan (he used a pan that goes from stove top to oven, as I did. Otherwise use a saucepan and then transfer it to an oven proof dish).
3. Add the chicken and cook for 3-minutes
4. Chop the spring onions and mushrooms and add these to the pan.
5. Add the flour to the pan and stir.
6. Add the mustard, cream and chicken stock and stir well.
7. Pick the thyme leaves and add these with some nutmeg and a pinch of salt and pepper. Leave to simmer gently.
8. Place your sheet of puff pastry over the pie dish or pan, using a knife to make light criss crosses in it. Tuck the pastry in around the edges of the pan. Brush an egg wash over the top of the pastry and cook for around 15 minutes (until the pastry is golden and cooked).
We served it with salad and mashed potato. Serve it with your favourite side dishes.
My kids, hubby and I ALL loved it! Had it for leftovers the next night.
Feeds 4 adults and 2 children