Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Chicken with parmesan and prosciutto

Lorne asked for the recipe so here it is :)
This serves 2. I do one chicken breast for each person.

30-50gms parmesan cheese
2-3 sprigs fresh thyme (you could use dry but it wouldn't be as yummy I don't think :P )
2 skinless chicken breasts
freshly ground black pepper
1 lemon
6 slices prosciutto
olive oil

To prepare your chicken
Grate parmesan (if you didn't buy it already grated). Pick thyme leaves off the stalks.
Now, I usually cut the breast carefully in half (butterfly it so that the its still all one piece but a little flatter). *** (see bottom) Carefully score the underside of the breasts criss cross style. Sprinkle over most of the thyme leaves over the breasts. Grate a little lemon zest over them and sprinkle with parmesan. Lay 3 prosciutto slices on each chicken breast, overlapping them slightly. Drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle over remaining Thyme leaves. **** Now Jamie likes drama and he says to cover the breasts with clingwrap and whack them with the bottom of a fry pan to get them thin. What I do is this- I just hit them with a mallet and flatten them out.

To cook chicken
Put a frying pan (or grill) over medium heat. Transfer the chicken breast to the pan and put it prosciutto side down. Drizzle over some olive oil. Cook for 3-4 mins each side, giving the ham side some extra time to get crisp if needed. I find that I need about 5-6 mins each side to cook the whole way through.

To serve
either cut up into strips, or leave whole, serve with a wedge of lemon.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe! I'll write it down and try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds great nicole
    you need to come cook for me hehe

    ReplyDelete