Taken from a Family Circle cookbook.
1 cup (8fl oz) oil
1 1/4 cups (7 1/2 oz) soft brown sugar
1 1/2 cups (6 oz) self raising flour
1 teaspoon bi carb soda
pinch of salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1 2/3 cups (8oz) grated carrot
For the frosting
125 g (4oz) softened cream cheese
30g (1oz) butter
1 cup( 4 oz) icing sugar
2 teaspoons orange juice
pecans or walnuts to scatter on top
1. Preheat oven to 180 C (350F) and grease a 9 inch cake tin and line the base and sides with baking paper.
2. Combine eggs, oil and brown sugar. Add the sifted flour, soda, salt and cinnamon and beat until the mixture is smooth.
3. Add carrots and nuts and mix well
4. Pour mixture into the tin and bake for 45 mins or until a skewer put into the middle comes out clean (my fan forced oven took around 40 mins).
5. Once cooked, remove from oven and leave to rest for about 20 mins and then turn out onto cooling rack.
6. To make cream cheese frostind, put the cream cheese, butter, sifted icing sugar, and orange juice in a bowl and beat until it is spreadable. Spread over cake once it is cool and scatter some nuts on the top.