I have always wanted to try these since I saw them on a tv show and they kept raving about how good the cake was.
I've found a few great recipes from various blogs and cookbooks and taken what I thought was the best ingredients and methods.
2 1/2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
good pinch slat
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
6 tablespoons ( 2 bottles) red food colouring
60 gms (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups caster sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 teaspoon bicarb soda
Cream Cheese frosting
The recipe I followed had LOADS of icing left over so I will give you an estimate of the cream cheese of which I think should be used instead.
190-200gms cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups icing mixture
1. Beat cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy
2. Add vanilla and beat well
3. Sift icing sugar and add gradually to the mixture. I like it so its firm enough to pipe onto the cupcakes, so if you need to add more icing sugar you can do so.
1. preheat oven to 175C (350F) and line cupcake trays with cupcake papers
2. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl, set aside.
3. In a small bowl, mix the food colouring and cocoa to form a smooth paste
4. In another mixing bowl cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time and then add the cocoa paste. Beat for 60 seconds.
5. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture and mix until combined. Add half the buttermilk and mix until combined. Repeat with the remaining flour and buttermilk.
6. Mix the vinegar and bi-carb soda in a small bowl. When the mixture has stopped fizzing, add it to the batter and stir well to combine.
7. Spoon the mixture into the cupcake trays BUT only fill 3/4 full as they will rise. Bake for around 20 mins or until you can touch the top without it sinking, or a skewer comes out clean.
8. Leave cupcakes to cool on a rack and ice with the frosting when cool.