Monday, May 25, 2009

Stuffed chicken breast


Last week I made a stuffed chicken breast and it was awesome.

Here is how to do it

1 chicken breast per person, skin on is best, keeps it moist.

Sea salt

Pepper

Feta that's been crumbled or chopped up

Basil and Oregano (fresh is best, otherwise just the dry stuff)

Olive oil


Make a slice down the breast so that there is kind of like a pocket along the side of it. Then combine the feta, and herbs and push this into the hole that you have made. Drizzle some olive oil over the top of the breast (skin side up) and season with salt and pepper. I cooked in a fry pan but it took way too long and was a little tough in some parts, so I wouldn't do it like that again. I normally cook my breasts in a roasting tray in the oven which is pre heated to 200c so I think that's almost 400 F and it takes about 40 mins to cook. You could also wrap it in foil and cook it in the oven that way for around the same time.
I then added some butter, lemon juice and some chicken stock to the pan and sort of made a mini gravy type sauce to pour over the top.
You could also stuff the breast with ricotta, sundried tomatoes, olives and other herbs.


3 comments:

  1. Can you believe I have NEVER stuffed meat?! lol
    I am going to have to try this tho! I'll have to cook it on the George Foreman grill tho since our oven doesn't work :)

    Do you buy boneless skin on chicken breast?
    Or debone it yourself?
    I always buy boneless/skinless chicken breast. I'll have to try it out with skin on to get it more tender :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well now, that's something I wouldn't have thought, you not stuffing anything, you are a whiz in the kitchen! you will have to share anything you try out :)
    I am sure the grill will work fine, I might have had the heat up too much. Probably another thing I could of done was smashed it a few times with a mallet to make it thinner.
    Yes I buy the boneless skin on chicken breast, that's the only kind I think at our chicken shop. It's also like $3 or $4 a kilo cheaper than the skin off. Its not that hard to pull the skin off yourself anyway :) I don't always eat the skin when I cook it, I usually have one or two mouthfulls then give it to hubby :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Along with your kid series books, I suggest you put together a cook book :)

    ReplyDelete